I love Twitter – that’s when you can communicate, share and catch up with what’s happening in your world.
And talking of catching up,
a Canadian born- Shetland based culinary poet was calling for some food challenge participation. Now, my love for food – in true Rabelais’ spirit – so, here is, following today’s earlier offering (as food for thoughts), a very first offering as food for taste buds. Please note they both satisfy pleasure 🙂
Here it comes, as an entry for the PASTA PLEASE call … Sorry, E, but, hey,am catching up at your evening’s tweet!
Gratin de Macaroni aux Trois Fromages
Serves 4 / Preparation Time: 20-30min / Grill (Gratin) Time: 5-10 min (180C)
400 G Italian Macaroni
140 G Pancetta* (if you are not Vegetarian 🙂
Cheeses: Reblochon, Emmental & Gruyère, freshly grated
2 x garlic cloves, Herbes de Provence, coarse sea salt, pepper
For the Béchamel sauce: 50G flour, 50G butter, 5-600ML milk, grated nutmeg, salt, pepper,
Option(s): mixed wild mushroom/wild chanterelles (pack) / red onion
Plunge the dehydrated wild mushrooms into a small dish with water
1. Bring a large pan of water + dash of olive oil + coarse sea salt to the boil. Add the macaroni. Bring back to boil and simmer till al dente.
2. Drain and set aside.
Béchamel: (preparation Time: 10-15 min / cooking: c. 10 min)
1. In a (Le Creuset) large saucepan, melt the butter, add & brown the diced pancetta & thinly sliced garlic (with red onion/wild mushroom as an option)
2. Add grated nutmeg, pepper & Herbes de Provence & stir in the flour to make a roux. Add milk gradually whilst stirring at all times. You may decide the amount of milk according to sauce thickness preference. However, the Béchamel will be thickened by the cheese.
3. As the sauce begins to thicken, gradually add 1/2 the grated cheeses and continue stirring. Keep the other half for the gratin (dish top). Taste. Adjust seasoning according to taste. Set aside.
Preheat the grill oven to 180C
1. Grease a large rectangular earthware dish with butter.
2. Pour in the drained pasta and Béchamel sauce. Stir with care to ensure a balanced mélange (mix)
3. Sprinkle with the other half of freshly grated cheeses. Season, sprinkle with Herbes de Provence & pepper.
4. Grill for 5-10 min.
5. Serve immediately.
Serve with a side salad, and a chilled Chablis (wine)
Et voilà! Bon appétit 🙂